Thursday, May 7, 2009

X-men Origins: Wolverine - Long Live Deadpool

Last night my daughter and I went to the latest X-men movie, X-men Origins: Wolverine. Personally, I've never been a fan of the whole "X" thing marvel does whether it be X-Men, X-Force, Weapon-X, or X-whatever. I have read enough of the comics to understand that it would damn near impossible to be 100% true to any continuity as Marvel themselves have done complete 180s over the years: one year Sabertooth is an anti-hero face and the next he's the most vile creature ever. In a way the heal turns remind me of the good old WWE. Anyway, I expected them to be 100% true to story lines or characters. It's a movie after all and they have to work with the medium. Still why the hell do script writers think they should completely change the character, yes I'm talking about what they did with Deadpool.

My daughter loves Deadpool. Whenever, we play Marvel Ultimate Alliance she always picks Deadpool. Thus she was pissed when they made him ...


(spoilers happening now so quit reading at this point if that bothers you)


... some robotic mutant monster with all the mutants' powers only to cut off his head. Sadly I thought they were straying from the known storyline a bit but were close enough that it worked until this point. In addition, at the beginning Ryan Reynolds nailed the character as a smarted mouthed mercenary: not sure why I never thought of it but Reynolds was the perfect Deadpool. This made it even more annoying that the messed up his character completely at the end. Hollywood you totally could have made a mint with a Deadpool movie but NO... .

I will admit that I'm not a Deadpool expert but I don't think at anytime the Weapon-X program made him a combination of Wolverine/John Wraith/Cyclops. Yes they gave him the Wolfy's healing factor but that's were it ended. I also don't recall Wolverine ever cutting off his head and killing him.

In short, "X-men Origins: Wolverine" joins the list of horrible comic book movie adaptions with the first two Punisher Movies, the first Hulk Movie, Daredevil, Electra, .... the list goes on and on. Thank god there are some decent movie adaptions that keep my faith like Punisher: War Zone, Iron Man, the 2nd Hulk movie, the latest Batman installments, and the first Batman movie with Jack as the joker.

Long live Deadpool!

No comments:

Post a Comment