Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Powerline Ethernet for Xbox 360 Game Networking

I've owned a XBox 360 for about 2 years and finally hooked it up to the Internet and set up a XBox live account last night. Why the long delay? Well unlike the Wii and PS3 (I think) Microsoft doesn't offer built in wireless and I was too damn stubborn to pay the $100 for the wireless adapter. However, the desire to get the new Fable 2 content finally drove me to hook the Xbox to the network.

Instead of getting the wireless adapter I decided to go the Powerline Ethernet route. Was it cheaper? Probably not. However, due to the location of my router I have my wife's network printer in my office/fort and I figured this powerline ethernet technology might be the key to moving it down to her office/fort. Now for the price of a 3rd powerline ethernet adapter, about $50, I can put her network printer in her fort or at the very least move it to the basement and use the same adapter as the XBox. Either way the monstrosity will be out of my office.

To accomplish my goal, I went to a local computer store, OTV Technologies, to pick up a couple Powerline Ethernet adapters. They only had two in stock: one that plugs into the power outlet with one Ethernet feed and the other was one that plugged into the power outlet offering a hub with 4 connections: thus I can hook up the printer by the XBox. After getting home I did easiest networking I've ever done. I put the one adapter in at my office and connected it to the router and then plugged the 2nd one into the power outlet downstairs and hooked up the Xbox ... bang done! My house's power lines can now perform double duty as a computer network offering 85mbs which is more than fast enough as my high speed service only does 10mbs.

In the end it cost me around $106 dollars with taxes so I might have been able to get a XBox wireless adapter for less if I hunted around. However, this way I can get the printer out of my office and can tell Microsoft they can suck my ass for the way they hose people on XBox accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment