Thursday, May 14, 2009

WoW Draenei Shaman vs Rogue

Okay I want to start this off stating that at the moment my thoughts here are an unproven theory. However, a while back when my Shaman was in his early 50s I duelled a Undead Rogue who took me apart like nobodies business. The fight went something like this.
  • Accept Duel
  • Drop Stone Skin, Magma, Healing, and Wind Fury totems
  • Rogue disappears
  • Rogue Stuns me
  • Rogue takes out totems
  • Rogue hits me with poison
  • I finally become unstunned and manage to hit Storm Strike
  • Rogues Stuns me again and disappears
  • Rogue stabs my toon to death while I'm stunned
Personally, I never played a rogue above level 8 but I'm told they are one the hardest to beat on PvP and after this experience I can believe it: when playing a horde hunter I once watched a ?? Shaman take on a ?? Troll Rogue and again the rogue won handily. However, I still didn't like being taken down so easily and its been annoying me ever since. Today my Shaman is level 64 and he was challenged to a duel by another Undead Rogue. I declined due to needing to leave for work but it did get me thinking about a different battle plan.

My Shaman is an enhancement build which is capable of some decent dps and unlike the last match up I have the Spirt Wolves and Shamanistic Rage spells at my disposal. In addition, I duel wield and can't imagine why you wouldn't duel wield with an enhancement build: with that in mind I would try the following.

Before Accepting Duel:
  • Hit Lightning Shield
  • Enhance weapon in main hand with Wind Fury
  • Enhance weapon in other hand with Flame Tongue
After Accepting Duel:
  • Drop Earthbind Totem to hopefully slow him down
  • Drop Cleansing Totem to counteract poisoning
  • Drop Windfury Totem for chance at more dps
  • Drop Magma because I still think the area attack given with this helps when he turns invisible

During the Fight:
  • Hit Spirit Wolves: you know he's going to stun you and the wolves can still attack him when your out of it sadly it only lasts 45 seconds
  • Hit Gift of Naaru my guy is a Draenei after all
  • Hit Shamanistic Rage to lower damage taken and re-cover mana
  • Hit Frost Shock to slow him down
  • Go for Storm Strike/Lava Lash/Earth Shock combos
  • If things are not going well drop a Fire Nova Totem to maybe turn the tide
  • Re-cast Lightning Shield when ever possible
I'm not saying this will work and I have no idea what a rogue could do to counter but it's the only workable strategy I can think of and I'm definitely storing this in the back of my mind to recall next time I PvP a rogue.

If it works for you let me know if it doesn't well ... hey it's just a theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment