Monday, May 11, 2009

Left 4 Dead Survival Pack: Take 2

I know we tend to keep returning to Left 4 Dead but hey that should tell you the game holds a special place in our hearts. Plus I wanted to include my 2-bits on the Survival Pack update. Unlike my hetrosexual life partner I wasn't all that excited about the Survival Pack. One I figured the final scene in the campaigns was difficult enough and two at the time I wasn't quite as taken with game as Rob. However, I've played a lot more Left 4 Dead lately and it as won me over and that includes the latest update.

Initially I agreed 100% with Robs first impressions of the Survival Pack. It seemed impossibly hard and that new scenario, "Last Stand", left a sour taste in my mouth: I kept thinking why didn't they just add a few more Campaigns instead. However, we have taken a step back and have been playing some of the other survival scenarios andI find myself enjoying them and the 7 minute Silver Achievement seems within reach: 7 minutes is a long time to survive when you typically play with 2 players and 2 AI controlled characters.

What do I like about it? Well first off its nice to play a game that takes less then 10 minutes. I don't all ways have the 1 to 8 hours available to sit in front of a computer or game console and lets face it the days of the quick 25 cent arcade game are over. Therefore, it's pretty cool to be working away and decide, hey I need a quick break, so you skype your buddy start a Survival Campaign and can usually make 3 attempts in less than 15 minutes. The other thing I like about it is that the AI deviates the attack enough so that the game is slightly different everytime. You just get use to defending one attack and the next time you play they are coming at you from a completely different source.

Any that's my quick take on the Survival pack and I'll let Rob add any future Left 4 Dead reviews :)

No comments:

Post a Comment