Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Windows 7

Back in January I installed the newest Windows OS, Windows 7.  I didn't have time to mess around with it a lot so I installed it in VMWare and had few opportunities to play with it.  Last week that all changed and I went ahead and installed the newest release; been using it it for about a week now and I gotta say I'm lovin' it!

Not much has been done to change it,. they put a bit of window dressing on it, prettied it up a bit, and sent her out for another dance, and you know what?  That's OK, cause, pause for effect, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH VISTA!!!!!!!  The only real problem with Vista is that people weren't running it on the proper hardware.   Give her a decent processor and enough RAM and there's no problem with it, mainly RAM.  I've got Vista on my desktop and my laptop and I have had no problems with it.  My desktop has a 3 GHz hyperthreaded core with 2 GB of RAM and I have no issues whatsoever.  My laptop is a 1.5 Celeron Mobile with 1.5 GB of RAM and the only issue I have is the fact that Acer refused to make drivers to support all of it's hardware in Vista, however I can hardly help but notice that is an Acer issue not a Windows issue.  The fact of the matter is that Vista actually came with the default drivers to make everything work.  So get over it people, despite what Mac ads want you to believe there's nothing wrong with Vista.

Anyway, back to Windows 7.  Two good features:  1.  it comes with a screenshot utility, real handy if you're either doing or asking for tech support, and 2.  The side bar is no longer there.  You can still use all the gadgets, as a matter of fact you can still use the ones made for Vista, but the don't appear on an opaque bar on the side of the screen, they just sit where ever you drop them.  What more can I say?  If you've used Vista you're ready for 7, and if you haven't used Vista then get with the times.

Still don't believe me?  Well you don't have to take my word for it, find out for yourself.  Windows is giving anyone and everyone the chance to try Windows 7 at no cost for 1 year, you can get it and full details here.  After March 1, 2010 the system will only run for two hours at a time and by the beginning of July the system will not allow people to use it, but up until then you have the option to use the fully functional software, what have you got to lose?  Nothing, that's what.  Check back for future posts and I'll walk you through dual booting your system, allowing you to run your old OS and another one beside it.  At some point I'll even talk briefly about VMWare.  Have fun and don't forget to spin your propeller!

No comments:

Post a Comment