Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Hotline Miami

I was going to arbitrarily dismiss Hotline Miami as soon as I saw the Devolver logo, but I figured I went to all the trouble to start it and it was good enough to run with no problems, so what the Hell! Starting it up didn't appear to offer much I was interested in, low-res graphics, 80's pseudo-nostalgia, and wonky controls, but I'd heard good things about this game so I powered through. I gotta say, it's not bad.

You play a hitman in 1980's Miami, taking jobs for pay, and just generally living the dream. The jobs are essentially puzzles, you need to enter a building and move through, killing everyone present; the puzzle comes in the form of how you approach and neutralize as you start every level weaponless and need to take care how many people notice you before you're ready for them.
NES era graphics or not, there's a lot of blood in this game.
The controls are wonky and not very fluid, but I'm pretty sure this was by design, you have to be more careful on approaches, making timing more key. The game itself is quite point driven, combo's, killing move's, etc all adding up to bigger and bigger numbers, but I found the puzzle angle enough to keep me interested, I don't care about accumulating points.

I'm going to give this guy 8/10, although I'm tempted to go a little higher. If you manage to get this one on sale for a couple bucks, it's highly recommended, at full price I can't recommend it as highly, but there are probably worse ways to waste your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment