Friday, December 12, 2014

Mafia 2

This is not only one of my favorite games of all time, it was probably the biggest surprise. I picked Mafia 2 up on a Steam Christmas sale a few years ago on a whim; the price was right and I'd heard decent things about it. I ended up not only playing the game through, but I picked up all the DLC and played through several more times before that holiday season was over.

As much as I loved this game I've always had a tough time quantifying why; it plays much like a scaled down Grand Theft Auto game, but where I've never really gotten into those titles, I found myself totally immersed in the life of Vito Scalleta and his journey through organized crime. I have to add, the soundtrack, period specific music, added immensely to the experience even if it was a bit anachronistic. Same goes for the Playboy magazines hidden through the game, no less pleasing for being totally out of their time.
I think I need to play this again.
An over the shoulder 3rd person action game, you steal cars, and shoot other, worse guys, in an effort to make your way in the world. The game play itself is nothing more than you'd expect, it's well done and enjoyable, but not extraordinary and while the game does have full free roam, there are no side quests outside the main storyline; this game grabbed me because if it's story. I like Vito and wanted to see how things play out for him, he may be the best example of a flawed hero I've ever encountered, and, for better or worse, I identified with him.

Obviously this game gets 10/10, from the opening moments at the end of WWII, to the depths of prison, to the end of Vito's journey, I stayed with him every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment