Thursday, December 11, 2014

Orcs Must Die

Orcs Must Die is unequivocally one of my favorite games of all time. I bought it on a Steam Christmas sale a few years back not knowing anything about it, other than it was cheap, little did I know how much fun it would be. This is currently the only game in my library which I completed every achievement for

You play an untalented War-Mage tasked with keeping Orcs from invading a magic portal, using a series of obstacles, traps, and spells. As the game progresses you get better items to use to fight off larger and tougher enemies. At it's heart this is a tower defence game with a lot of action; it's possible to do a great deal of fighting personally, but the traps are needed to win.
Tar traps, spike walls, acid pots, and crossbow! Yup everything looks good here.
The standard campaign can be beaten without too much difficulty with a set strategy of force multipliers, such as barricades and tar traps to slow and channel forces, but making sure nothing gets through can be a bit more of a challenge; besides, why deny yourself the inherent joy of watching a group of orcs literally get diced up in a wall blade trap. Move on to the Nightmare mode and shit gets real in a big hurry. Between the humor (I think Bruce Campbell was more than a passing though on designing the mage) and non stop action you get one hell of a good game.

Like Spinal Tap, this game scores 11 because 10/10 is not high enough to give it all the credit it deserves. I can think of few games I will ever give higher recommendations for.

No comments:

Post a Comment