Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Space Hulk

I got Space Hulk on a Humble Store sale for two reasons: 1. It was cheap, and 2. I have fond memories of playing Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels on the PS1. All I can say is, I'm glad I got it cheap, cause Blood Angels it is not.
There it is in all its spacey hulky glory.
Main thing that needs to be said is, this is not an FPS, this is an electronic adaptation of a board game, it would have saved me some trouble if I'd realized that I was not getting an updated version of Blood Angels. Taken in those terms it works well, I'd even say very well, but if you're expecting any action you'll be disappointed. Each turn allows you to move your men, some with different actions, then wait for dice rolls to dictate how they fare in the fights, once they are placed there is nothing you can do to influence the play.

The game looks great and the mechanics work very well, however repetitive animations and lack of control limit the audience from people wanting action or real goals. I milked a great deal of extra play time out of it by fulfilling achievements (I'm very goal oriented in my gaming) and getting them can be challenging, but that's not a selling point, just a comment.

There seem to be a great deal of con's to this game, but I still got a great deal of enjoyment out of it. I'll give this one 6/10 for those reasons, but only because I got it so cheap, at full price I cannot recommend this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment