Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bastion

Bastion is a great game, I don't think I can find anything wrong with this title! You get a 3rd person top down RPG with a bit of humor and a fairly compelling story that keeps you running along.

You play "The Kid", a survivor of a catastrophe that has destroyed your home city and it's up to you to rebuild it, even though you appear to be the only one left alive to live in it, so I'm not sure why you're bothering. The story is narrated by "The Old Man" who supplies you with info, but not much else. From your home base of Bastion (See the connection there?) you quest through levels looking for crystals to to re-power Bastion.

Falling of the edge is a danger, but not as threatening as one would think.
I'm a big fan of the "Life" system in the game: There is no real concept of lives, if you die you get a couple chances to retry before having to restart the whole level, a great mix of accessibility and difficulty. Other than that, it's pretty much standard RPG stuff, collect and upgrade weapons, gather XP to level, so on and so forth.

I really thought The Old man was going to be irritating when I first started, he narrates the story using a 1940's Noir technique that I find a bit grating, but it didn't take too long to discover he actually feeds you useful information, like health levels and enemy confrontations, in this way; the narration stays entertaining and useful through pretty much the whole game.

I'm giving this a full 9/10, I highly recommend this game. Although the story and action have all been done before, humour and a decent difficulty curve have kept me engaged far longer than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment