Thursday, June 4, 2009

Robs Favorite Comics


Now I'm not talking about highbrow crap like the first appearance of Superman or Batman, frankly my father wasn't old enough to remember that stuff, let alone me, I'm talking about good books with great stories. The kind that you can pick up and read again and again, and when you've been away from comics for a while and think back about it's always one of the first issues that come to mind for you. For me my top slot has got to go to Justice League America Annual #4: Justice League Antarctica.


Now to be fair you had to be up on who these guys were and what the current version of the Justice League was all about, but from the first time I saw this issue with that take of the iconic Justice League#1 cover art, I knew this was going to be special. In a nutshell these guys were the then current version of the Injustice League, however they weren't very good at it so they asked the League if they could join. Maxwell Lord, the then leader of the League thought it would be easier to say yes and put them someplace where they couldn't do any harm, thus they were sent to the Antarctic. I guess old Maxy couldn't have foreseen them stumbling across a genetics lab churning out penguins crossed with piranhas now could he?

As can also be seen on the cover, G'nort, the worst Green Lantern to ever sling a ring, padded out the ranks for this one, again so he could be kept out of the way, along with the Scarlet Skier, not shown, also an ex-criminal trying to rehabilitate. Apparently locating for Mr Nebula, interplanetary decorator, wasn't all the Skier had hoped it would be.

I'm gonna go home tonight and dig this bad boy out of my collection and read it again. Hell, I might read it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment