Monday, June 8, 2009

Favorite Comic Writers: Keith Giffen

Last night while my buddy Rob and I were have a beer after work we got to talking about one of our favorite writers, Keith Giffen. Although, normally an artist Giffen has written and created some of my favorite characters in the DC Universe. Giffen's Justice League was perhaps my favorite comic book when I was in University. A lot of the hardcore comic fans hated what he did because he made most of DC's heroes and many villains comical using parody and plain silliness. However, for me he made them likable and human with some of the best humour I've ever read.

Notable Works:
Lobo:
Giffen was one of the creators of Lobo, an instant DC universe hit. This biker assassin was one of the few beings capable of beating the shit out of Superman. I for one always loved watching big blue get schooled.


G'nort:
This human/dog alien got his power ring from the Poglachians in an effort to ruin the Green Lanterns reputation with amusing chaos. He had two successful arrests, the Scarlett Skier and a band of cat bank robbers who give up the moment they saw him. Note that due to the embarrassment the skier becomes G'Norts arch nemesis. Oh yeah, as part of Justice League Antarctica G'Nort helps the league survive the attack of killer penguins.


Mr. Nebula:
Speaking of the Scarlett Skier I've got to mention Mr. Nebula. The Scarlett Skier is the herold for Mr. Nebula a cosmic being who travels the universe red-decorating one planet at a time in a battle against tackiness. Earth is only saved from Mr. Nebula when he sees Los Vegas and lets us re-decorate on our own.


Injustice League:
Composed of Big Sir, Clue Master, Clock King, Major Disaster, Mighty Bruce, and Multi-man this band of villains don't even come close to destroying the Justice League so then turn good forming a big part of Justice League Antarctica.

Ambush Bug:
All though not my favorite I have to mention him because there is more than a bit of a cult following for this dude. He's basically a teleporting idiot used purely for humor and parody. I do like the fact that he considers himself Superman's good buddy a fact that drives big blue crazy.

Really I could go on and on: like how he made the Martian Manhunter addicted to Oreo cookies, turned the Blue Beetle fat, made Guy Gardner annoyingly nice and gentle due to head injury, ... etc. Anyway, I read somewhere that Giffen was getting Doom Patrol, I hope it's a return of the JLA style of parody humor mixed with good stories and not the more series Giffen. Either way I plan to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment