Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Project Natal

Well, Microsoft is trying to break some barriers and it looks like they're doing an interesting job of it. The only problem is, I don't think they have their follow through directed properly. If you don't know what Project Natal is it might benefit you to check it out here before reading the rest of this.

Simply put it's a means of using a camera for the system to get active feedback from the user, thereby replacing the controller.Everything that goes on in the videos, both at Microsoft and the E3 stuff I've seen, looks cool, but begs the question, is this made for gamers or would this be better for the next generation of Internet surfers? Two things highlight my points:

1. The family playing the racing game, how the hell do you play a racing game without holding on to anything? I love the concept of actually steering and shifting, and even the pit crew sequence is cool, but I couldn't do that with out something tangible to hold onto. Changing a tire without actually holding a tire? No way man! The same as the fighting game, without physical feedback whats the point in throwing a punch?

2. The woman going picking clothes online. OK, this is just cool, being able to walk up to the machine and have it recognize you and start your account, then being able to try the clothes on virtually? That's just plain neat, but this is Internet surfing, not gaming.

I think this is a great concept and will be amazing for flipping through menus and doing all the things leading up to the game, but for the gameplay itself I'm going to need something more. I can sit in the middle of my backyard and pretend to drive a racecar if I want, it'll at least discourage my neighbors from wanting to be friends, and it'll be just as satisfying as sitting on my couch and watching the TV for directions.

I don't like to arbitrarily foo-foo these things, progress is good and I can see the greatness in this to come, but for the foreseeable future, I'm going to continue using a controller for all my gaming needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment