Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Old School Arcade Games

This last weekend I had a chance to play a game I remember fondly, the arcade version of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 1989. I picked this little gem up on Xbox live for around 4 bucks and couldn't wait to start playing it.

The game played pretty much the way I remember, especially since the analog stick on my controller acted like a miniature joystick, but it really served to remind me that in those days the games won't so much about the skill level you possessed, although that helped a lot, as it was about how many quarters you had in your pocket.

Well, this didn't present much of a problem for me as my 360 doesn't need quarters, but without that little adrenaline burst that comes from wondering how many quarters you have left in your pocket the game just wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong, I spent several hours playing it, finishing It at least 5 times, but it just wasn't the same.

I got a bit of fresh air going live with it, they limit you to 20 lives so at least you have a bit of anxiety with each subsequent life used. I didn't actually finish it that way, the best I did was get up to Krang who soundly kicked my ass, but it was still fun.

I'm not going to complain about the game, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the game, but it sure did serve as a frame of reference for how much gaming has changed in the last 20 years.

Like the man said, it's been a long, wild ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment