Friday, June 19, 2009

Bombshell Beauties



If you're anything like me then you grew up watching movies and documentaries and reading books, comics, and magazines about World War II. OK, so maybe you're not a lot like me, but I still don't think a Wikipedia hyperlink for WWII should be necessary for simple little things like the name of the American admiral responsible for stopping the advance of Japanese forces in the months after Pearl Harbor (and for the record, I don't care what anyone says, Spruance may have carried the big stick to Midway and actually spanked the Japanese, but Halsey is the one who told him to go there so he's the one who gets credit).

Again, if you're anything like me you will have also noticed that the video game world has been flooded with WII games for the last 10 years, some good, some not so good, others, complete crap; Battlestations Midway would fall somewhere in the middle. Built to be sort of an overall comprehensive battle simulator it had some cool things going for it. I especially loved the mission where you sailed the IJN Yamamoto through the British fleet, that was good shoot 'em up fun. However other stuff really fell short, like the flight missions, they just didn't have the bang that I came to expect from arcade fliers like Heroes of the Pacific.

Anyway, the powers that be decided that they were going to make another one. Good for them ,I'll probably check it out since I'm compelled to do all things WWII. The point of this though is a particularly unique marketing campaign. Last Christmas I had the opportunity to get a desktop from this game, a piece of era art that would have graced the nose of a B-17 or possible a fighter, a healthy young lady in a white bathing suit with a giant Candy Cane. I kept it on my desktop unitkl near the end of January.

Now we have this site, which continues the line of nose art, except now you are not just given the choice of 1 or two pictures, they let you design the whole thing. You get your choice of a model, she goes through some poses and you take the picture of her you want, you are then presented with your choice of airplane, for my first shot you can see I choose the iconic C-47, not a fighter or a bomber, but we all know it's role in the war, you then get to choose some accessorizing art, bombs, company crests, and so on, and apply it to the nose of said plane. When it's all done you can download it and call it your very own. Here's my first try at this:


You can see that they went ahead and made the pic look a bit faded and basically turned it into exactly what would have need on one of these planes. Now by today's standards this may not be "sexy" but I still think this type of art has major appeal and I wholeheartedly recommend you go check it out and make your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment