Thursday, March 5, 2015

Organ Trail

It's been a while since I've seen a game that I loved, let alone liked, but Organ Trail sure fixed that up. As a rule I detest old school graphics and sound, but in this case it not only works, it just feels right, even if I do hate the shooting mechanics.

If you've ever played Oregon Trail, you've played Organ Trail, only difference is zombies instead of pioneers; if you've never played Oregon Trail I don't know how to talk to you so you should maybe go away now. You set up your party, supply your station wagon, and start travelling across the country, trading, scavenging, and fighting your way through the hordes in your way. The updates to the game include a lot of humour, but the game does a great job of not only tying it into the genre, but also making it feel authentic to the original title.
If I need to explain this screencap to you you should go away forever.
I do admit to hating a few things: the shooting mechanic is horrible, but it's in-line with the original; the music is irritating if you pay attention to it, but its not important for gameplay so it can be turned off; finally, if you hate text based gameplay this won't work for you. I find those to be smaller issues when take into scope of the overall experience but they could add up to a game killer for someone else.

I'm going to give this guy a full 10/10, which actually surprises me. It's a heavily dated game with antique mechanics that utilizes an overplayed genre, but it works perfectly, and it doesn't hurt that it's cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment