Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wolfenstein

 
 

I thought today I would talk a little about an old game that I feel has been underappreciated and generally not given the credit that it deserves in video game history, Wolfenstein. Dating all the way back to the early 80's this is the game that actually allowed Doom to become the iconic symbol of gaming that we know today, that's right, this was the original FPS.

Over the years there have been many versions of Wolfenstein , properly pronounced "Volfenshtien", you gotta love the German accent, and I can't think of any other franchise that over its lifetime has given us the chance to shoot both the undead AND Hitler. Although I had dabbled with the earlier versions, mainly Wolfenstein 3-D, I wasn't a major fan; it was ok, but nothing earth shattering, and this was coming from a WWII history buff and a gamer. So when Return to Castle Wolfenstien was released for the Xbox in 2003 I didn't run right out to get a copy, I instead waited a few months before giving it a try ( for me that's an amazing amount of restraint, it really shows how little I cared about this game). I honestly didn't know what to expect with this one, I figured the best I would see would be a reprint of the original, but I was surprised to find a really solid fully updated FPS. The game started off low key, taking you through a Nazi occupied town in North Africa, leading you to some unearthed tombs where not only did you find more Nazis, but several different types of undead; at the end of this you get shipped off to the infamous castle itself where the game really got started. I won't go into a full review but I will say that it was an enjoyable game, well worth a play, lots of weapons, a good mix of enemies, some good scenery for the game, and a decent story to it. The good news is that we're getting another release in a couple of months.

Currently slated for a release in June of 2009 I'm looking forward to this one. Simply titled Wolfenstein the game appears to be delivering the same style of gameplay, a WWII FPS shooter that should deliver some interesting scenarios. New and innovative? Not really. Lots of guns and reasons to shoot people? Definitely, and what more do you want? I'll let this trailer speak for itself; if after watching that you don't want to play this game then I don't know what to say to you, as a matter of fact that may make me lose all faith in the human race.

Finally, what's the only thing missing from this magical franchise is a movie. Well you know what, we're getting one of those too, Return to Castle Wolfenstien. And the best news of all? It doesn't say one word about Ewe Boll getting the rights to this one, thank god. I generally leave the movie stuff to Darcy, and he actually did talk about this, but I have to say I actually get a little physically sick when I think about In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale. God help me I used to like Ray Liotta, then again, if there is a God we'll be saved from more of that. Please let there be a God, any God at all!

2 comments:

  1. OMG that looks cool! I may start playing my XBox again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I mean shooting Nazis is one thing, but shooting supernatural Nazi's, how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete