Thursday, April 2, 2009

LCARS Interface Screen Saver

If you know what the title of this blog means then you're probably already getting excited, although, to be fair, if you already know what it means you've probably already got it; for the rest of you, here's what LCARS is. Having said that lets get to the meat of today's topic, a really cool screen saver.

Sometime early last year I downloaded a copy of a program from a torrent site simply because the title intrigued me, Star Trek Screensaver. I thought it was going to be some sort of a slideshow featuring pictures from the series or at best some star ship designs; I figured I'd check it out, maybe get a new background for my desktop. Anyway about five minutes later the download finished, I ran the exe and was presented with a GUI straight out of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The screensaver doesn't run for long, maybe five minutes before looping back to the start, but while it runs it shows you detailed information about star charts, some Enterprise E schematics, and a bit of technical data. One feature I really like is the fact that if you run dual monitors you get a different display on each monitor, not just the same thing mirrored, but two different sections of the program run. On top of that it actually has a really good chart of the galaxy giving you the locations of all the different powers in the galaxy, the Borg, the Romulans, the Klingons, etc. One more thing, it comes complete with Star Trek sound effects, makes it sound like you're sitting on the bridge of a Sovereign class starship, that's right, I know my Star Trek, almost as well as my Star Wars.

I use this on all of my computers, after a year I still haven't gotten bored with it. As I said in the beginning I got it from a torrent site, but after a little research I found that it's a freely available program for use by anyone. It works on both Vista and XP PC's and even comes with a Mac version for all you people who like having Steve Jobs tell you how to live your life. Oh, one last thing, you can get the program here.

2 comments:

  1. okay dude that's the coolest post you've made. Guess what I have running as my screen save now .. too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unreal isn't it? I love the sound effects too, complete kickass package, kudos to the developer.

    ReplyDelete