Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cool Comic Characters - Grendel: Devil's Legacy

Been a while since I did a cool comic book character plug and I thought it was time to introduce you to Christine Spar a.ka. Grendel of the year 2022.

As you can see by the picture we are not talking about the gross troll from Beowulf mythology but are refering to an iteration Matt Wagner's Grendel. Christine Spar was the grand daughter of the original Grendel, Hunter Rose. Although, saying Hunter Rose was the original really isn't that accurate as Wagner's Grendel stories aren't so much about a character but more about a possession. There are numerous iterations of Grendel and some occur decades prior to the Hunter Rose but he is still is the first Grendel penned. However. my first encounter with Grendel was Devil's Legacy which featured the Christine Spar Grendel. This was way back in the early 90s and I remember trying to read a few other Grendel story lines but none appealed to me as much as Devil's Legacy. Grendel tales tend to get very complex which I didn't like that much back in my University days. I do think I could appreciate them now and intend to pick up a couple Graphic Novels my next trip to the Comic Store and test that theory. Anyway back to Christine Spar.

The story is basically triggered when Christine's son is kidnapped and killed by a Vampire. She dresses in her grandfather's mask and costume looking for revenge but the more she wears it the more malvoilent she becomes and the possession alerts Rose's old nemisi Argent. Grendel tales are very noir and don't tend to have happy endings and this was my first exposure to that style of comic book. I must of liked it because I still remember it over 15 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment