Monday, April 20, 2009

Grand Torino

I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, I even watched "Every Which Way You Can" more than once.

Nobody and I mean nobody plays a tough sob like Clint Eastwood and combine that with his proven and solid directing ability I was pretty excited about this movie.

Although a good movie it was no Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, or Unforgiven. I only had two problems with the movie. One, it was pretty obvious that Bee Vang and Ahney Her had no real past acting experience. Ahney might have some potential but I might just think that because I have a soft spot for the asian ladies. Two, the story itself didn't blow me away. It kinda reminded me of "The Karate Kid" with out any karate and a bitter old tough vet as Mr Miyagi. I don't draw this comparison as a negative because The Karate Kid was a good movie (for the 80s) and I can't think of one elementary school friend who never spent hours trying to perfect the Crane Kick. However, I regress and back to the point. Like "The Karate Kid", "Grand Torino" features an older man taking an interest in a directionless kid and then helps them become a stronger/better person definitely not an original concept.

I did like Clint's Walt character. Walt embodies the values and attitudes of my own fathers generation. In the movie you shake your head at that racist comments and out of date attitudes but you also admire to simple values, values that my dad tried to instill in me but I've let slip. It might sound stupid but I walked out of that movie thinking I need to make some changes and realign some priorities. In fact, I think every yuppie metro-sexual male needs to see this movie and let Walt's example man them up.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with everything you said dude. The one thought I had was maybe he chose actors with no experience so he could start a couple new careers. Just my though on the matter. oh, by the way, Every Which Way But Loose was better than Any Which Way You Can. Right turn Clyde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that's exactly what Clint was doing but don't think either actor rose to the occasion.

    "Every Which Way But Loose" was a far better movie then "Every Which Way you Can" but as bad as the later was I still watched it more than once. :)

    ReplyDelete