Monday, January 19, 2015

Torchlight

I'd tried Torchlight in the past but it didn't really grab me; it grabbed me so little that I forgot I had tried it until I got it started and found a save game already present. I'm glad I gave it that second chance though, it's a good game, not without its flaws, but still very good.

Easiest way to term this would be a Blizzard influenced dungeon crawler; you get your choice of class to play, then push your way through dungeons on quests assigned to you as the game progresses. Along the way you get numerous gear and money drops, keeping what you want and selling the rest. General RPG goodness ensue's, it's just a matter if you want to play a melee or caster class.
A good looking game too.
I really liked was the pet, a dog that fought along side you, utilizing spells of his own, plus, when your bags were full, he could travel back to town for you and vendor the junk. In both look and feel this game is similar to Warcraft, a game I've spent way too many hours on, so I have some authority on the matter. On the downside, I'm not a fan of the mouse 'left click' movement system; it works well enough in this game, but having both target selection and movement mapped to one button never feels precise to me. Having said that, the movement system does keep your left hand free to run through your shortcut menus for all your spells and items, so that's cool.

8/10, I don't know if I can give this highest recommendations as it doesn't have a great deal of variation to the play, and the movement control issue, but it is a very good game all the same. If you get it on sale it'd be well worth the purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment