Friday, January 16, 2015

Sanctum

I vaguely remember buying Sanctum on sale because I'd heard good things about it, but knew nothing beyond that when I first started it up. I found running it on Windows 8.1 required me to set the compatibility mode to Windows 7, but once that was done the game ran smoothly and cleanly.

Sanctum is a pretty good example of a tower defence game: a sci-fi backdrop, that I paid little attention to, pits you against waves of aliens trying to get through to a power source, leaving you to stop them via defences you build in their way. The towers you build can be equipped with any number of weapons, which are upgradeable using points collected during fights with the aliens, possible after each round when you get a chance to add or upgrade defenses,
Add yor guns, start the level, and watch the bodies pile up, aw yeah!
The graphics are not amazing (the game uses the Unreal engine, and it feels a lot like playing Unreal Tournament 2004), but they do the job required just fine and the mechanics are pretty solid, weapons and defences given seem to be adequate for the job. This is not an easy game to master, but fortunately it's not difficult to play, even if you skipped the tutorial you'd be able to muddle your way through.

I'm going to go 9/10 with this, my first hour in the game slipped past me very quickly (the sign of a good game is unaccounted time, just like being drunk) and, although this does nothing to redefine the genre, it certainly gives a nice addition to it. If you find it cheap, this is definitely worth checking out, if for no other reason than it's the only FPS tower defence I've ever played. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment