Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans ... Best Underworld Yet

Okay I was hoping to review The Watchmen but I've been debating about letting my daughter come with me, it has a 18A rating, so still haven't gone to the movie. Not to worry though last Friday I begrudgingly when to the newest Underworld Movie and will share my all important opinions of the latest installment of that Vampire vs Lycan series with you.

I say begrudgingly because I honestly never cared for the first two Underworld movies. Yes, I acknowledge, like most hetero-sexual males, that Kate Beckinsale in skin tight black leather is a sight to behold. However, that couldn't overcome the boring story line and horrid casting of Scott Speedman. Plus I thought the vampires were too wussy and the lycans too powerful too buy into fact that the vampires were winning the war. Consequently, I pleasantly surprised when I found Underworld: Rise of the Lycans enjoyable.

One Michael Sheen is so much cooler than Scott Speedman as the main male character. I always thought lycans were a monster that could be scary but could never be cool. Hell even Jack Nicholson couldn't pull it off in 1994's Wolf but Michael Sheen as Lucian was a cool character, I'm going to have to look up some other movies with that guy. Yes I know he's in Frost/Nixon but that movie really doesn't interest me at all. The female lead was Rhona Mitra who I like a lot, I even sat through Doomsday because she was in it. Ahhh Doomsday a movie which such promise that lost it's way: it did have one of the best scene's ever using the music of the Fine Young Cannibals's Good Thing. Anyway, I digress, I have nothing against Kate Beckinsale but Rhona is far more believable as a tough slightly cold female lead who can kick ass.

Other than better casting the special effects were better and I thought the lycan's movement was done beautifully, just enough jerkiness to appeal to my love for stop motion animation and make them seem surreal but not so much that it seemed obviously fake. I have a soft spot for medieval movies so the time period was appealing and it made the idea of waring lycans and vampires seem more plausible. The story moved along nicely and didn't get stuck on the love story or some kind of battle with an inner demons. Point of fact that yes there was a love story but it supported the events it wasn't the event; an action movie not a love story. The Mummy Returns you should have learnt that balance. All in all I would recommend the latest Underworld to anyone who likes fantasy movies and plan to pick it up on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment