Friday, March 20, 2009

Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

So far I've been slightly underwhelmed with the video game prospects for 2009. Now don't get me wrong, there's some good looking stuff on the horizon but not as much as I would like to see, and some of the ones I'm getting really excited about, like Dead Rising 2, most likely won't hit the shelves until next year. However, I'm not here today to talk about my disappointment but my excitement for what well could be the fulfillment of 2 years waiting, to once again roam the halls of Rapture.

If you don't know about Bioshock then I don't know quite what to say other than get yourself a copy and play it. Named the Game of the Year in 2007 by IGN this game blew me away for several reasons. The story was magnificent, the settings and the artwork were breathtaking, and the mood set by everything up to and including the soundtrack were phenomenal; I'd love to do a full review here, but I'll just tell you, if you haven't already done so, go play the game, and, if you have, go play it again, it's worth it. Originally Bioshock was only released for the 360 and PC but early last year it was announced that a PS3 version would be marketed; now the reason this is relevant is because that gave us the first taste of the sequel. The PS3 release included a few extras, like some minigame play, and most notably the teaser for the new game, you can check it out here. Not much there, but that's why it's called a teaser and not a trailer.

Well fast forward another few months and we still don't have a trailer but at last we are getting a few details and I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this. In the original towards the end of the game you get to wear a Big Daddy suit, but in the new one you are a Big Daddy, in fact you're the first Big Daddy, you play as the prototype for the whole series. What this means is that you get to use the Big Daddy weapons like the drill on his right hand and the rushing shoulder block that makes them so hard to deal with; sure, you can keep your distance up until the minute that a Big Daddy decides he doesn't want any distance. On top of this since you're a prototype, an overpowered proof of concept if you will, you have abilities that weren't built into the later models, namely, the use of Plasmids, the weapons that put the "Bio" in Bioshock. Add to this the ability to combine weapon and plasmid attacks and I think we're looking at a winner here. Finally, the plasmid upgrades have been altered, giving different types of attacks with upgrades instead of simply making them more powerful; Incinerate level 1 acts the same as before whereas Incinerate level 2 will now give you the ability to throw fireballs.

The storyline and the setting are perfect already so I'm hoping they don't mess with anything there and judging from what I've seen this will be taking place after the events of the first game. I'm not sure what that'll mean for a plot to the game but they have a lot of latitude with this so there's no reason that it should suffer, other than the fact that they may be pushing out a piece of crap simply to capitalize off the name and they spend nothing on writing. Currently the best estimate I can find for the release date is quarter 3 of 2009, so we won't be seeing anything for at least another 4 months, and I'm thinking it'll be closer to 6 months, if we actually see it this year.

This one is getting Robs "On the Edge of my Seat, Peeing my Pants Excitement" seal of future approval. Hopefully I can provide you with some better details in the near future, but in the meantime, pass the Adam and don't spare the Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment