Thursday, March 19, 2009

Finally The Watchmen Review


Although, I was excited about this movie I wasn't quivering with anticipation like many of my friends and fellow comic/graphic novel fans. On more than one occasion I've heard The Watchmen referred to as the Citizen Kane of comic books but personally have all ways felt the book was a little bit overrated. The concept was cool, considering when The Watchmen comics originally ran they were a welcome change from Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lass or worse Bouncing Boy. Plus, what comic book fan wouldn't think Rorschach was an interesting character: he's an anti-social combination of Batman and the Punisher. Aside from a good concept and interesting characters I've always felt the story never flowed, felt choppy, and at times was just plain boring. It's the only thing I can recall reading by Alan Moore and honestly wasn't impressed enough to make note of his name for future reading material. However, I digress this is a review of the movie not the graphic novel.

Let me be clear and first state that I didn't hate the movie. I thought it was an okay movie and was very accurate when compared to the graphic novel. Any changes or omissions made were for the better: cutting out that sub plot of the comic within the comic was definitely a good choice. The problem is I wasn't blown away by the graphic novel so consequently wasn't blown away by the movie. Some close 3 hours movies are amazing and don't feel like 3 hour movies but The Watchmen felt long and I found myself looking at my watch.

I did like the cinematography and the special effects, the world definitely came across as a dark and violent place. I specially liked what the heroes from the 50s and 60s, maybe it was 40s-50s, looked like in the flashbacks. They didn't look like the Dark Knight they looked like a bunch of people in masks and that fit the story and time period. These were suppose to be the golden age heroes and for that to work they needed to look a little cheesy and campy which contrasted nicely with the next generation of hero (i.e. Nite Owl II, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan) who had a more modern Black Knight/Xmen movie look.

The casting was excellent with the exception of Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre II. She had the right look but was the worse actor in the movie and regrettably her character is in a lot of scenes. Jackie Earle Haley was perfect as Rorschach and I do mean perfect and Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl II was amazing. It really was like they brought the characters from the graphic novel to life. The other one to catch my attention was Carla Gugino as the original Silk Spectre but really Carla Gugina is stunning and sets my heart a fluttering no matter what movie or role. I always liked Bill Crudup and liked him as Jon Osterman but I didn't like the CGI Dr Manhattan at all. Dr. Manhattan should be godlike and I thought he came off a little too much like C-3PO wait more like Data. Yes I realize with his abilities he is becoming distant and inhuman but that doesn't necessarily equate to robotic.

In short, if you've read the book and liked it you will like the movie. Personally, I would have more fun staying home and playing World of Warcraft but that doesn't mean it was a bad movie.

2 comments:

  1. I'd feel sorry for the oft-mocked Bouncing Boy, but the fat fucker managed to land Triplicate Girl, which is beyond awesome if you think about the possibilities.

    http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/1985.htm/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's when they tried to make him less mocked. Good memory my man

    ReplyDelete