Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Damn Cool Comic Book Characters - Jesse Custer

I've been thinking of doing a list of my favorite characters found in the world of comics but I'm to lazy to do more than one at a time and don't want to set a limit as there are sooo many awesome comic characters. Therefore, I'm going to pick one periodically to bring forward as attention deserving.

Reading Rob's post remind of one of my all time favorite comic series, Preacher! Have to say now that he mentions it Ennis does have a lot of annal rape in his story lines but that's a different post.



When I stumbled upon the Preacher series it has already finished its run as a monthly series and had entered the realm of graphic novel re-prints. I had been away from comics for years at the time and happened to be staying at a friends house and said friend happened to have all the comics boarded and bagged and highly recommended that I give them a read.

I didn't have any expections and I read it simply because I was stressed out and needed something to take my mind off the real world. Really a comic about a preacher with lame David Hasselhoff hair couldn't be anything spectacular could it? I was wrong!

Jesse Custer really wasn't a preacher kinda guy at, he was forced in to being a preacher by his insane Grandmother, Marie L'Angelle. However, while working as a preacher the man gets fused with the offspring of a Demon/Angel loves fest and gets the 'Voice of God' that will make you do whatever he says when heard. Kinda of a cool concept but definitely not what makes Jesse Custer stand out in the comic world. After the first 20 issues or so Jesse rarely uses his power but kicks ass by being simply one tough SOB. Now this might sound stupid but one of the things I like the best about this character is that his moral fortitude is enhanced by an imaginary guide that comes in the form of The Duke ... yes John Wayne. I never even liked John Wayne till I read this comic and then I ran out and got a pile of his movies.

All in all Jesse Custer is the man I suggest you read a few issues of Preacher if you don't believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment