Thursday, March 12, 2009

Family Guy and Star Trek: TNG?

OK, no overblown opinions from me today, at least not many, just a little bit of news. I did a Google on Star Trek today, nothing better to do, and I ran across this. Should be good for a laugh so I'm looking forward to March 29th.

I'm a regular Family Guy watcher and although the show hasn't been the same since it came back from its cancellation, I still enjoy it. The endless 80's references remind me of times gone by and who among us doesn't appreciate a good poop joke? I guess in its own way it's still trying to push boundaries and shed light on the shadows of society, I just don't think they do it as elegantly as they did in the first couple seasons.

As for the TNG connection, I'll admit to also being a fan of the entire Star Trek franchise and it should be entertaining to see what the Family Guy writers do with the characters. Who knows, maybe the future holds an opinionated blog about Star Trek and its spin offs. For the meantime I will say this, love 'em or hate 'em the Star Trek Captains have been some of the most memorable characters in TV and movie history.

One last note on that thought, if you want to read a quality book from the Star Trek universe I would recommend "The Captains Table", a half dozen stories each comprising an adventure by one of the Star Trek captains, starting with Christopher Pike and leading up to Katherine Janeway. I won't go into too much detail here, although it is an older book that is still worth a review, I don't want to tell a tale before it's time, so suffice to say I recommend  this one for both seasoned Star Trek readers and new readers looking for a segueway into the Star Trek universe.

Live long and be freakin' sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment