Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dark Reign ... wow I like Marvel

Although, I usually buy Dark Horse Comics typically I'm am in agreement with my buddy Rob's opinion that DC is better than Marvel. . With the exception of the Punisher and anything with Thanos I've never got into the Marvel universe.

The whole mutant struggle just didn't appeal to me and it seemed like, that was the driving force behind to many stories. However, after watching the latest Punisher movie I had a craving to read some comics with the dude and I saw Punisher: Dark Reign in the comic store and picked it up. It was awesome! Punisher vs The Sentry was very well done and it hooked me, meaning I had them add the series to my monthly collection. Yes I realize if The Sentry can catch a bullet he should be able to catch the Punisher but I read comics for the ride not realism.

This weekend I made my monthly journey to said comic store and noticed I could pick up the first 3 issues of Dark Avengers so I figured why not. Again I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading those issues and intend to add that series to my monthly collection. My monthly comic budget has some room since I just dropped pretty much all the DC titles I was buying due to crappy story telling. The horrible writing in Batman R.I.P. really made me re-think my opinion of DC comics. Anyway, so for I like the Dark Reign crossover and it's the first Marvel Crossover I've liked since the Infinity Gauntlet.

Dark Reign is a time where Norman Osborn, aka the Green Goblin, finds himself in control of Stark Enterprises, S.H.I.E.L.D. (now H.A.M.M.E.R.) and the Avengers post Skrull invasion. Now I use to think Osborn was one of the lamer villains but they have turned the guy into one slick, slimy, and appealing villain and in Dark Avengers he has reformed the Avengers with a caste of former baddies, and in some cases current baddies.

- Instead of Iron Man you have Iron Patriot (Norman Osborn)
- Instead of Spiderman you have Venom
- Instead of Thor you have Ares
- Instead of Wolverine you have Daken (Wolvy's evil son)
- Instead of Hawkeye you have Bullseye
- Instead of Ms. Marvel you have Moonstone
- Instead of Captain Marvel you have Marvel Boy
- And you have The Sentry

In the first 3 issues they form and have to go and save Doctor Doom and it is a great ride. I would recommend picking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment