Monday, November 24, 2014

Serious Sam

Serious Sam is Serious Fun! How do you argue with the formula [Guns - (bad guys/ammo)] x Humour? No matter how you spin that bottle it always lands on good times. There are actually 2 titles in the original run of the game, The First Encounter and The Second Encounter, but they're little more than episodes 1 and 2 of the same game, and, as such, I consider them one. I also found I had the HD editions of both games in my library but Serious Sam Classics: Revolutions takes both titles, in HD, and adds a little extra in one game, so that's the one I played the most of.

Sam is all about saving the world, and he's Serious about it; that's all you need to know about him and his universe. Guns are plentiful and ammo piles on top of more ammo; I couldn't find a shortage of health packs or armour either. Dive in and mow down some of the more unique baddies ever created and have a good time. Seriously though, if I ever encountered ANY of things in real life my soul would have a stroke, rocket launcher or not.
AW YEAH!
The original release was in 2001, so game is dated. I'm not used to looking for triggers to open doors anymore, and searching for health and armour has not been "cool" for a long time, but I actually miss that aspect in gaming; health regeneration is a neat concept, but rarely used properly. I would also say that this game stands up much better than many games I've played from that same time, even without the HD update. Oh yeah, there is multiplayer as well, which might be fun, but I don't think anybody gives a crap about that.

I'm going 9/10, I enjoyed every moment played and if you only buy Revolutions the price is decent (and to be blunt Revolutions is the only one you need to buy). My only reservation is the replay value, having played through I don't think I'll ever bother again. Let me just leave you with the words of Sam "Serious" Stone: "Give a man a bullet and he'll ask for a gun; give a man a gun, and he'll give bullets away for free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment