Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Serious Sam Double D XXL

After watching the trailer for Serious Sam Double D XXL (make sure you turn on the sound for that one) I was hoping for a lot of fun from this game, however I was left somewhat wanting. This isn't necessarily a bad game, I think it would be great on a console, but the PC port is not great.

Leading up to the release of the newest Serious Sam title a few indie licenses were handed out, this was one of the entries. You can tell a lot of effort was put into this game and, again, on a different platform it may come across better, but controlling the action with a keyboard and mouse really didn't pan out well.
Although it's not without its charms...
I'm also not a fan of the  platforming aspect, it's been a number of years since I've played a 2D sidescroller, and even more since I enjoyed one. The guns and firepower are great and the enemies are well crafted and balanced, in accordance to Serious Sam canon, but Sam just didn't respond well enough to make things a lot of fun.

5/10 for this one as I'm really on the fence, it looks great, and the gun stacker system is almost worth the price of admission alone, but the 2D action and controls leave me wanting. If you enjoy sidescrollers I think you can do worse than this one, otherwise just scroll on past this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment