Thursday, April 22, 2010

So Who's Actually Trying to Take Over the World?

Is it Google or Facebook? According to this article I would have to say it's Facebook to be honest. I mean sure, Google is becoming a pervasive all encompassing entity in the cyber-world, but at the end of the day they actually serve a purpose and are giving me tools to enhance my work/leisure life.

Facebook on the other hand seems to exist for the sole purpose of making sure as many people as possible are in my business. Seriously, I actually consider what they are proposing to be a move towards infringing on my privacy; the only thing actually stopping it is right to choose to be a member of their networks. Now riddle me this: how far down the road will we be looking before it becomes a requisite to have Facebook account before you can use certain services online? I can definitely see you needing to use a Facebook ID to log into XBox live, or vice-versa, and that's only the first thing to come to mind.

I have always considered social networking to be largely a waste of time, but one that doesn't really hurt anyone as it's your choice to waste the time. Remember back when email first became big and spam first started? Wasn't long before it became an industry and now it's a business in itself creating the means to keep that crap from destroying our daily productivity. I can see the day when we spend more time refusing Facebook prompts than sorting through spam, and that is moving closer all the time. And that's just the e-side of things, never mind the real world implications of an even more increased stigma towards people who don't "Facebook" (You know when South Park gets something right, they get it 100% right).

At least Google is giving us tools while they take over the world, Facebook would have us playing Farmville as we trudge down the road to social gulags. I've considered it in the past, but I've just moved one helluva lot closer toward killing my Facebook account.

By the by, in my books, Twitter is now officially a notch above Facebook on the usefulness board! Maybe even two or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment