Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Capcom: Dead Rising "Felt Too Japanese"

If the title is a little too ambiguous, which I can totally understand, here's the full article.

I gotta say I loved Dead Rising and been looking forward to the sequel, however the more I read about it the more I wonder how much of the original game is going to make it's way into this one. I'm not saying I want to simply replay the first one, but there were a lot of things going on that I enjoyed that I can see getting stripped out in an effort to 'Westernize' it; I'm afraid we're just going to end up with an attention-deficit-pseudo-action third person piece of junk with no personality when all is said and done.

Dead Rising had the ability to make people say "I hate this part" but still make them come back and play it. Personally I liked the save system and the survivor rescues because of the "realism" it put into the game, real decisions with real outcomes that effect the rest of the game; if you end up making a bad choice and have to start all over again, well that's how life is too sometimes. Having said that though I can understand the frustration people experienced over the survivors and single save, but the point is people kept coming back and playing it even if they did hate those parts.

I'm still not 100% sure what 'Westernizing" means, but I see it as removing all the RPG aspects that made the game frustrating AND addictive at the same time. I'm still looking forward to playing it, but not as much as I was before reading this article.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, I'd still like to know what happened to Frank West, that dude had some serious zombie killing skills when I was done with him, now I got start all over with some freakin' noob? What is it with development companies scrapping their established heroes? I still haven't gotten over Valve's choices in Left 4 Dead 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment