Friday, September 5, 2014

Overlord

It appears Overlord is on sale this weekend, you can get both Overlord 1 and 2, plus the Raising Hell expansion for 4.99 (75% off) so it seems to be a topical game to cover. In short, I'm a big fan of this game. I haven't played Overlord 2 yet so I'll save that for another time, however what is said here will cover Overlord: Raising  Hell as well since it's just an expansion on Overlord.

I originally played this on the 360, but I have played it on the PC as well since then; I actually feel the controls work a little better on the 360, but there is no problem with how they work on the PC. You play an undead boss who controls a small army of demons, Minions actually, and work your way through rebuilding an empire based on controlling the countryside. Complete missions to make your power grow and rebuild your castle (which includes it's own training dungeon for honing your skills and a forge for crafting equipment); decisions throughout the game will influence your "evil index" (my term, not theirs) which decide how your power is boosted. You can join the fight anytime you want, using your own weapons and spells but most times you need to use your minions to at least open the way into a fight

Since this was a spur of the moment review I stole the screenshot from Steam rather than grabbing one of my own.
The minions never stopped entertaining me, wearing random items for armor and just generally being obedient. As you progress you get 4 different types of minions, each with their own abilities, giving the game a bit of a tower defence aspect, some can throw items, but have weak defence, some are more powerful with melee attacks, but are susceptible to thrown attacks, blah, blah, blah, you get the drift; they also have environmental abilities' and weaknesses, like most are unable to go into water, which adds a bit of puzzling to some levels.

Overall I have give this game a 9/10, it's a well balanced game, it's got a great control mechanic, and the plot/story is pretty well written. If there is anything wrong with this game I think that the minions may wear on people a bit; I never stopped loving them, but their incessant chatter and horseplay doesn't have a lot of variation.


No comments:

Post a Comment