Saturday, January 23, 2010

Movie Review: Legion

Last night I had the opportunity to see the movie Legion and thought I would give a review for it. Let me start by saying I liked the movie, it wasn't a mind altering cinematic experience or the best movie I've ever seen, but it was a good time. This won't be a spoiler review so go ahead and read it; to be fair, the plot isn't complex enough to spoil anyway.

I took some time to read a couple reviews at www.imdb.com, I have to remember to talk about the pure douchery of most people who comment and review on IMDB someday, and I saw a theme that I believe will plague this movie and ultimately lead to it going down as a flop, a flaw with the marketing in my opinion. Let me start by saying this is not a supernatural horror or even thriller, despite the demonic overtones the trailers and TV commercials try to lend it, this is ultimately an action movie, albeit an undertoned one. In all honesty this is much closer to a zombie movie, and that's why I liked it, it was a high impact zombie movie.

Basically God has decided that the human race isn't worth his love (kind of flies in the face of the whole "Being of Infinite Love" thing) and has decided to kill everyone. To that end he has sent his angels, most specifically after the unborn child of a waitress in a truckstop who, for reasons never explained or justified has the savior of mankind in her womb. One angel refuses the order and comes to protect her, along the way forsaking his angelic powers, something that would have been very handy for the fight to come.

For some reason, also never explained, almost none of the angels can come to earth in person, they instead possess humans and use their bodies to carry out the will of god, and thus the battle begins. More than a few plot holes, but almost all can be forgiven or even justified, but that's the type of thing that kills movies popularity. They could have spent more time explaining things and a little less philosophizing about the existence of man, but they were trying to make a point, albeit one that wasn't well served for a zombie action movie.

Go see this movie if you like action and zombie movies, not either or but both zombie AND action, and see it for three other reasons : 1. watch another Dennis Quaid movie, I mean seriously, how can you not like this dude and, 2 and 3. Kate Walsh's rack! Seriously, I don't remember ever seeing her in any other movies, but any shot with her leaning over something was enough to captivate me for at least another 20 minutes.

So there you have it, do not watch it for a horror, thriller, action, or religious movie, although all those elements are present, watch it to see a demonic take on angels leading to a zombie defense movie, Dennis Quaid doing what he does best, and Kate Walsh's sweater puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment