Friday, January 8, 2010

Kimbo Slice


Okay this is definitely not the usual movie, video game, and comic babble I normally post but I was watching my new favorite commerical for the Body Action System, side note Bas Rutten is my new hero, and it got me thinking about Kimbo Slice.

I'm not the biggest MMA fan but I am a fan and I have to say I am a pretty big Kimbo Slice fan. This wasn't always true. Before, MMA became the entertainment juggernaut it is today I remember watching the internet videos of his street fights thinking "shit these dudes are nuts" and was frankly a little disgusted by the spectacle.

I forgot about Kimbo Slice well to be honest I didn't even know that was the name of the dude fighting in those web videos. Then a few years ago I'm watch EliteXC to see the Gina "Conviction" Carano fight and who do I see, that crazy scary dude from those old underground fighting videos. He started talking and expected to hear the usual male fighter stupidity but he came across as a pretty decent guy. Since then I've watched is budding MMA career and can honestly say without a doubt I find myself always cheering for him.

Is Kimbo over-hyped? Fuck ya but is that his fault Fuck No. The guy was just taking the opportunities given to him and I suspect he knows EliteXC was over-hyping him but what could he do? It was his opportunity to become a legitmate pro fighter. Do I think he may be too old and to late in the game to pick up the skills he needs to excel? Probably but I'm still going to route for the guy and hope he can do it. Why do I like Kimbo Slice so much? He seems humble, works hard, and has a lot of heart enough said.

Anyway, I can't have the only picture here being that of a male fighter so here's a picture of Gina "Conviction" Carano.

No comments:

Post a Comment