Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Best of the Last 4 Decades

It seems that "Best of ..." lists are always big this time of year so I thought I'd go one better and tell you the best of the last 4 decades (ya, go me!):

1970's
I actually don't have a wealth of knowledge on the 70's as there was very little of interest to do, however:

Top Movie = Star Wars (no brainer there)
Top TV Show = Battlestar Galactica (the one with Dirk Benedict; Starbuck is a dude, not a chick!)
Top Video Game = ya right, lets wait till the next decade why don't we?

1980's
Ah those formative years, which I spent much of wearing jeans too tight and too much hair gel:

Top Movie = This one was tough, I actually couldn't come up with a top, but it's either Empire Strikes Back or Raiders of the lost Ark (amazing how much of my life was based on Harrison Ford's acting)
Top TV Show = The A-Team (couldn't watch an episode to save my life today, but in '85 it was da bomb!) honorable mention to Tales of the Gold Monkey
Top Video Game = Super Mario Brothers (hate to admit it, but it's true, that game was a quantum leap in every aspect)

1990's
Ah yes, my 'Adult' years, a time of pre-marital children and impending failed marriages, what memories did I take from it?

Top Movie = Dumb and Dumber (BEST comedy ever!)
Top TV Show = Futurama (BEST TV show ever!)
Top Video Game = Warcraft: Through the Dark Portal (10 years before the RPG, we had the RTS! [Oh yeah, BEST video game ever!])

2000's
The digital decade who could forget it (no one yet I hope, it was less than 7 days ago)

Top Movie = Punisher War Zone (Finally a Punisher movie that worked)
Top TV Show = Futurama and Futurama reruns (That's right, it was that freakin' good [and everything else was that freakin' bad, except for Undergrads, Undergrads was OK.])
Top Video Game = Bioshock (This was a tough category too, honorable mentions go to Heroes of the Pacific and Dead Rising, but in the end Rapture stole my soul)

So there you have it, if you've only got a week to live and want to experience everything worth living for in the last 40 years you now have your guidelines to follow (tight jeans and hair gel are optional for the 80's but highly recommended).

3 comments:

  1. you know I have zero memory of Tales of the Gold Monkey. I would have put Magnum PI ahead of The A Team or Simon and Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tales of the Gold Monkey was awesome man, combined all the best of Han Solo and Indiana Jones, but was very short run. I also hear what you're saying about the detective shows, but the A-Team just pops out a bit more for me, nostalgia I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonus, Tales of the Gold Monkey is supposed ot be released on DVD this spring, http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gold-Monkey-Stephen-Collins/dp/B00005JOJP

    So, gonna get me a copy of it!

    ReplyDelete