Friday, February 6, 2015

Risen

I haven't played as much of Risen as I expected, it started out not too bad, but lost my interest. Although the game is 5 years old I would have put the graphics at about 10 years old, this is not high res within the least, however my real complaint is how chatty this game can get, I am not a fan of video game conversations, I find them lengthy and off-putting and this game is polluted with them.

Despite how little I've actually played I know an amazing amount about the story. The game play is a fairly standard RPG experience, quests are given in a manner that would be considered organic to the narration, and it is good to play an Action RPG, I've seen a number of turn based RPG's lately and I'm pretty well burnt out on those.
While not a bad looking game, there isn't a lot selling it either.
Fights are a bit tricky to get used to, but that's more a symptom of the age of the game, timing the controls is the real issue. I also found I couldn't get it to run on Windows 8.1 natively, I needed to enable compatibility for Windows 7 in order to get the game to even start up, but that's a quick fix.

I'm going to give Risen a 6/10, imminently playable, but nothing to set it apart and make it truly recommendable. It also lost points for the chatty interface, there are much better ways to communicate info than force me into chat dialogue tree's.

No comments:

Post a Comment