Monday, February 8, 2010

How Tough were NES Cartridges

Let's be honest here, it's a thought that crosses your mind every time you man-handle one of those optical media discs that Sony took mainstream almost 15 years ago: Man these sure aren't as rugged as the cartridges!

Now to be fair, the advent of optical media was a godsend for the gaming industry, you could pack in way more data, hello graphics power, the console was smaller, and the production cost on copies dropped from dollars to pennies each, however that doesn't change the fact that one scratch costs you, the consumer, a great deal.

I recently found this video which answers the question with painful exactness, they were pretty damned tough. The only test they miss, in my opinion, is the dust bunny test; it seemed to me anytime my games got more then a 3 molecules of dust on them it required a lesson in oral sex to get them working again, blowing and puffing, spitting and ramming it in and out of the damned thing.....


Pretty cool isn't it? You know, my one great regret is that I don't have what it takes to think this type of stuff up, god as my witness, I barely have the wherewithal to think up half a dozen random things to Google on any given day.

No comments:

Post a Comment