Friday, September 25, 2009

Robs Thoughts on WoW Classes

I've been playing pretty religiously for the last 3 months now and I have to say I'm really set in this game, Blizzard has truly created an immersive world that draws the player in, This is in no small part due to the surrounding actions of the game, not just the hack and slash, although without that there's little point in playing the game, but the things you do in between the hacking and slashing. Add the race/class mix in and this game just doesn't give up.

So what are my favorites you ask? I'm glad you did! Today I'm just going to address the race/class thing (mainly class).

I freely admit that I haven't tried as much as the game as I would have liked to (yet) so my opinions are slightly limited, but I have managed to bring a Warrior, a Hunter, and a Paladin up through the ranks with an assorted mix of professions between them; I've also got a mage in the upbringing and have started dabbling with a priest, but they're fairly low level. Along with this I've hit most of the races, even a couple of the Horde types, but I'm pretty much an Alliance guy.

Without going into too much detail, I need something to write about down the line, I've enjoyed all of them, the Dwarven Hunter, the Gnomish Mage, the Human Warrior, and I've got no problems with my Night Elf Priest, but I have to say none have brought me as much joy as my Human Paladin. I think the Paladin is a great choice for the up and coming WoW player, they dish out the dirt and heal when needed; add plate armor to that and you've got an awesome dude. To be honest I can see my warrior starting to approach my Paladin in DPS, but it's just not the same thing as playing a Holy Warrior; Hurtinator lives to kill whereas Ultronicus lives to kill AND heal!

The Paladin allows you to get a taste of the magic user mixed in with the attack power of a warrior, giving you a sample of both sides of the spectrum, adding in survivability to keep you going; my warrior has spent a lot more time dead than my Paladin. The best part of this is that down the line if you want to get a pure magic user going, like a Mage or a Shaman, you have an idea of how that works and what you need to focus on. The warrior doesn't lend itself to these skills as well, although Blizzard has managed a pretty gentle learning curve for all classes.

As for the human part, well if I had to do it over again I might have gone dwarf, my hunter is really cool, but he's a human and I accept him for that. Each race has it's unique abilities giving it an edge in certain things, but I mainly went human so I could stay in a comfort zone.

Having said that though, if PvP is your thing, I'd say a Hunter should be your choice, although this changes as time goes on. The very heart of WoW is wearing bigger boots than the next guy, and two sets of boots is always better than one (especially when one pair of boots is worn by a gorilla named Randolph). I don't mind the PvP, but it's never been a big part of my lifestyle. The Hunter also gives you a taste of magic use, although it's almost strictly limited to offense magic, and is largely associated with your gun, but magic none the less; as a matter of fact I think the Hunter teaches you more about Mana management than the Paladin does, an important skill for magic use.

So there you go a very limited run down on my thoughts for starting WoW. Only thing left now is for you to go and find out for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Dude you've got to play a Shaman. Definitely more like a Paladin then a Mage, specially if you invest you experience points in the enhancement tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be, but I think I'd play a warlock first, gotta love that succubus!

    ReplyDelete