Thursday, September 23, 2010

Netflix Available in Canada

The long awaited big day has come and gone, Netflix is now available in Canada and I'm thrilled. It's not the unqualified adventure that is seen in the US, but I can live with the differences:

1. No physical rentals: Canadians will not be able to have DVD's mailed to them for viewing. This is a strictly digital service and that's just fine with me, who wants to deal with mail and discs anyway?
2. No new releases: This is a little harder to take, but not a real big deal. My understanding is that we in Canada will be unable to get the brand new releases on Netflix due to a conflict with rental outlets, like Blockbuster (fair competition and all that). Instead we are getting a more pay-per-view style service with a delay on when the movies show up on our queue. Sucky, but I rarely rush out to rent movies as soon as the hit the shelves, and even when I download them the same day I generally don't get around to watching them for a few weeks. Besides, with the current state of Blockbuster video, that rule may not be in effect for all that long anyway.
3. Xbox 360 Netflix service will not be available until later this fall: I could care less for several reasons, mainly that I wouldn't use my 360 for this anyway, this being because I keep an intercooler on my 360 to keep it from overheating and it's loud. I'll probably always use my PS3 for this, but even if you don't have a PS3 yourself, use a media center PC or wait a couple months until the service is released; they didn't say it might be coming, they said it is coming this fall.

That's about it, at 7.99/month (with the first month free) it's hard to argue with the service, especially when you consider the TV you can watch. I was a little speechless when I saw season 1 for Soap, a show fondly remembered from my childhood, but it completely blew me away when I saw The Greatest American Hero up there. Need more classic TV? How about the complete run of the original Battlestar Galactica?

I think I'm gonna like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment