Friday, July 31, 2009

Machinima

I suspect anyone who has gone to youtube knows what machinima is but in case you haven't it's basically when someone creates 3-D computer animate shorts by rendering images off video games: think Robot Chicken with computer animation using video game characters.

Initially I thought this was stupid and for the most part a waste of time, for the people making the vidoes and the people watching them. However, after my daughter forced me to watch a bizzilion different videos I've changed my mind. I think machinima is a legitimate creative medium that is frankly in the golden age as anyone with a computer, time, and vision can do it. Meaning it's free of corporate bullshit and done by people who just want to create something. Does that mean it's all good? Well no because really the bulk of it is frankly, just stupid, but then again most movies coming out of Hollywood are stupid and watching machinima is free unlike going to the theater. I've seen nothing that's blown me away but I think in the right hands someone could.

Anyway there are a lot of possibilities with this medium but I think comedy spoofs work the best and the following are a few of the machinima creations that made me giggle. I do apologize for them all using warcraft models but I tend to focus WoW machinima being I'm Blizzard's bitch.

Stacey's Mom Video Spoof

Thrall's Crib

Rogues Do It from Behind Video

If you know of any awesome examples of machinima feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment